I love it when I start to see awards floating around on my blog roll. It gives me a chance to know all of you better, to know you beyond the heartbreak that IF throws at us all of the time. I feel like seeing these awards is another way to beat IF. Yes IF is an incredibly important part of our lives but we are more than women in the midst of RE appointments and IUI/IVF and CDs and SA and all of it.
And so because I love to hear about all of you, you can bet your bottom dollar that I am more than stoked to be able to share a little bit about our lives =). It literally makes my entire week to receive a nomination in which to do this. I get silly and excited and share the news with Hubs, which gives him yet another reason to laugh at me. This is cool stuff. Thank you so much Officially Unpregnant and One Day at a Time for the noms…also thanks even more for allowing me to know you better! Please make sure y’all visit these lovely ladies and share in their current joy…hopefully this will give us all hope for our own futures!
Now on to this Liebster Award business. First, I am going to follow the lead of My Hope Jar and the lovely MLACS before her. I follow each and every one of you ladies because you have all given me hope and joy. You have supported me during my worst of times and were the first ones I wanted to tell in my moments of joy. The bond we share is incredible. So please, if any of you have not accepted a Liebster Award before, take this invitation. Also take this opportunity to invite our newer blog sisters.
From One Day at a Time:
1. How did you meet your spouse/significant other?
I actually met the Hubs when I was a senior in high school. I had recently had a horrible breakup with my long time boyfriend and was in the dumps because of it (oh, young love). I wasn’t looking for a guy, I was still wallowing in my sorrow. I was also working at the CdA Resort as a barista. The Hubs had recently moved from Oregon to Idaho and his mother was staying at the Resort. She had heard of the neighbor girl who was about the Hub’s age who worked at the Resort and decided to hunt this girl down. All I remember from that interaction was her and the Hub’s aunt excitedly finding me and talking up a storm at around 7 am. The next day they brought the Hubs with them
And Lordy was that man hot. Dressed in a black leather coat and super chill (remember, I was a silly high schooler). Super hot ;). Anyways our first date was actually 2 months later after I called him (he says he had just picked up the phone to call me, but whatever).
2. What is/are your hobby/hobbies?
I do love running. I also have not done any running recently and that actually makes me super sad. I want to start up again, nice and easy, but I get scared to do anything that might cause some problems. I might take up biking or the elliptical though!
I am also planning on doing some gardening or some other such nature nonsense. I love the home feel you get when walking up to a front door with gorgeous blooms on the path. Cross your fingers that I can indeed do that 😉
3. What has been your greatest/most significant achievement?
Earning my DVM. I have never been so proud of myself, nor fought so hard to earn something. It represents my dreams from a young blond girl in North Dakota and required so much sacrifice and money and determination. The absolute hardest thing I have ever done. 4 years of our marriage, living 1000 miles apart, missing out on kissing the Hubs when he leaves for deployment, not spending a single holiday with the family in 7 years… but, by God, I am now proudly a Veterinarian and it was worth it (most of the time…not at 3 am emergency calls though 😉 ).
4. What words of advice do you have to others struggling with infertility?
Don’t forget yourself. Don’t forget who your significant other is either. Try not to lose yourself in this struggle. Try not to make it everything in your life. Remember you are more than this person who is fighting infertility. If you find yourself constantly emerged in the IF journey, take a step back. Find yourself and your love again. Find life again.
5. What is your favorite TV show(s)?
Right now Vikings, Nashville, Sons of Anarchy (men on bikes = hot), Game of Thrones, and a myriad of other reality type shows.
6. What is your favorite season (spring/summer/fall/winter) and why?
I love early spring and mid-fall. Mostly because then it is not as wicked hot here in NM nor is the wind as bad. I just love the transitions to something new.
7. What is the best vacation you have been on?
I was blessed to take a class from Whitworth University that was set in Thailand for a month…it was incredible. That country is one of the most beautiful and unique places I have ever been.
The Hubs and I also took a trip to Mexico as a graduation gift which was equally amazing. We did a dolphin swim, snorkeled, and had a limitless pass to a local park. We also drank tons of sugary cocktails and Dos Equis. And got cherry tomato sun-burned 😉
8. Who inspires you the most and why?
The Hubs. That man is a miracle in himself. He is strong and giving and never complains about the task at hand. He has insurmountable energy and a work ethic I have never seen. And he is an Airman, a hero, a man that protects our homeland and our families. He doesn’t shrink away from his duties and faces deployments with courage. How did I ever get so blessed, I cannot tell you. But he is everything that I always have wanted to be.
And the questions from the lady at Officially Unpregnant:
1. What is your secret (or not so secret) addiction?
Blogging at times and supporting all of you wonderful ladies. I also love texting friends just to keep up with what is going on in their lives. During work, I thrive on taking pictures of my seriously gross wound management cases. And those crazy surgical cases I seem to always get on emergency.
2. What is one piece of advice you wish you heard 10 years ago?
Boys come and go, but don’t change your life for them. If you have to change that much, then it’s not worth it. And stay the heck away from them when you are young. Live first! This is in reference to my first serious boyfriend and specifically my interest in track. Unfortunately I gave up a lot for him when in reality it would have been far better to have kicked him to the curb earlier.
3. What is the nicest thing someone has done for you?
Just recently I had an emergency I attended for a Pomeranian who was having what was likely an anaphylactic reaction. I gave her a couple of injections and some sedative and kept her overnight. The next day she was right as rain and was discharged to her owners. Yesterday I received a card that thanked me for everything, said they looked up to me, and also a gift certificate to Red Lobster. Seriously made my day.
4. How do you like to relax?
Reading scummy novels and snuggling with the fur-babies. I used to also include wine on a regular basis too.
5. What is your dream vacation?
I would LOVE to go to Alaska. I am desperately praying for orders there soon, but the military is such a fickle wench most of the time. But could you imagine the mountains and wildlife and gorgeous wild of that state!!!
6. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be?
My heavens do I love pickles. But, for nutrition’s sake, I would have to say fruits. Specifically watermelon or ripe strawberries.
7. What cheers you up on a bad day?
The Hubs. With his silly antics like licking the tip of my nose or blowing air right in the middle of a kiss. And that herd of critters we have. How can anyone be sad when Layla is bouncing around like a kangaroo, Ruger is prancing and showing off his toys, and Buck is barking his joy at seeing you? The love of our animals have been my saving grace more than I can even possibly begin to describe.
8. What is your least favorite word?
Moist. I seriously cringe at that word. The best thing about it is that you do use “moist” to describe a boatload of dermatology cases. Which I see at least once a day in the clinic 😦
9. Liquor, beer, or wine?
Wine!!!!!!!!!! Prolly the thing I miss more than is appropriate, in fact, and one of the best ways I used in the past to relax after work. I also LOVE Blue Moon beers…those orange slices are heaven=)
10. Favorite thing about blogging?
The community and this incredible support. The support and love I can give them. I feel like I would have been so lost without y’all right during my worst of times. I feel like I would have taken out so much more on the Hubs and it would have hurt our marriage. Thank you, lovelies, you are the best and always in my thoughts!!! You have done more than you could ever possibly imagine and I don’t think I know how I could repay the love I have received =).
11 random facts
1. I received a standing ovation following my term as President of our veterinary university. I was wearing sky high red heals and a leopard print skirt.
2. I am an awful military spouse and know only the minimum about my husband’s squadron. He is in fact lucky that I even know his rank.
3. I am almost 2 times older than my mother when she was pregnant with me, her first born.
4. Neither of my parents graduated from high school (although my mother did earn her GED and RN later in life) and I am the first person in our more immediate family to have a degree higher than a BS.
5. I was scared of pitties when I initially began working with dogs and now own 2 perfect pibbles.
6. I have managed 2 animal shelters in 2 different states.
7. I dream of moving back to North Idaho, or anywhere in the Northwest. Most beautiful place we have been thus far.
8. We have a box turtle pet in our back yard that we feed tuna, strawberries, and cherry tomatoes. Little critter has a gimp leg!
9. My husband is my second serious relationship. Clearly I had a lot of game in high school 😉
10. Our first cat was actually supposed to be euthanized due to ringworm, but I took pity on her (she was a cute little manx!) and stole her. I basically changed her status to euthanized in the database and took her home.
11. The Hubs and I were married on the front steps of his father’s log cabin which is also where we had our first kiss.
Now on to a couple nominations I would like to throw out there. These lovelies are Beingrobinson and Wishing Wales. But please, please, ladies, if there is anyone else that is new to the blog world, this would give them a chance to build a bigger support group. Just let them know!
If these ladies, or any other ladies, opt to accept, here is the skinny:
1. Link back to the blogger who nominated you and also answer those questions she/he designated for you.
3. List 11 random facts about yourself (huh…this is actually kinda of hard).
4. Nominate 3-5 other bloggers with less than 200 followers.
5. And finally, make-up a set of questions for the nominated bloggers to answer.
My questions, for any wonderful gals out there who wants to accept!
1. Why did you start blogging?
2. Does anyone in your real life know about your blog?
3. What is your current biggest achievement?
4. Do you love your current job or would you rather explore another career?
5. How did you meet your significant other?
6. What is one piece of advice that you would share with a person struggling with infertility?
7. What is your favorite book?
8. Where is your favorite vacation?